Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Healthy Eating: My Typical Breakfast


I realize that almost everyone has been with the healthy-eating fad lately, but I really do think it's something worthwhile for both long-term health and beauty. Along with trying to expand my diet to include more fruits and veggies, I've been trying to train myself to eat a more healthful breakfast.

Personally, I don't think you should overeat in the mornings. A few of the nutritionists I follow, including Kimberly Snyder, recommend going easy on your digestive system at the start of the day with something light. Listen to your body and don't eat a ton if you're not feeling hungry.

On busy class days, oatmeal is my default because of its easiness and warmth (especially in the cooler months). The verdict is still out on whether grains, including oatmeal, are good or bad, but there's really nothing that beats the convenience in the morning.

I usually prefer my oatmeal plain, generally without any toppings and sweeteners. To be honest, I've always found sweetened oatmeal to be rather sickly. Recently though, I've been experimenting with adding chia seeds on top. Chia seeds have a slightly nutty flavor and add a nice crunch. Plus, they will expand when exposed to water either externally or in your stomach. This helps to make you feel fuller post-consumption.


I'm not sure if this chia craze is truly worth it, as these seeds are fairly pricy. However, I'm willing to give them a shot and so far I've been enjoying them.

Some people do smoothies in the morning, and someday I'll try to find a way to do that instead. But for now I'm enjoying my daily breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment