Friday, February 28, 2014

My Hair Care Products: Macadamia, It's a 10, Dove, and Garnier


I've been long-plagued with coarse, frizzy hair that has no volume up top but never fails to curl and become unruly below. I have to use the highest heat on it to even get it to sit flat. Given that, I've tried out a few products and wanted to share my thoughts.

Macadamia Leave-In Cream



To be honest, I don't feel this is at all worth the price. It doesn't do anything to my hair and will very quickly look greasy if you put more than a dime-size amount. I'm also not a fan of the smell, which is this strange herbally-scent. You're supposed to apply it to damp hair, but I honestly don't notice any difference between when I use it versus when I don't. I can only trust that it's doing what it claims to in terms of protecting my hair from the elements. 


The one thing this does have going for it is that the ingredients list isn't terrible as far as hair products go, so I don't feel bad sleeping with it in my head. The large bottle will also last forever. However, I will not be repurchasing this.

It's a 10 Miracle Leave-in Plus Keratin 

This is noticeably more effective than the Macadamia at smoothing out my hair, but is also plagued with a rather harsh ingredients list (containing parabens and other nasties). However, I do find this leaves my hair significantly softer and more tame if I spray it in while damp. The caveat is I don't really care to sleep with all the chemicals in my hair, so I end up not using it except for prior to straightening my hair. Decent product, but hopefully I can find a more natural alternative.

Dove Dry Shampoo

This is the best one I've yet tried, and from a performance standpoint it's top notch. It gives my hair volume and texture while also effectively keeping it oil-free the whole day. I use it solely on no-wash days. The one issue I have with it is the scent. It's overwhelming, to the point where everyone around me can smell it on days when I use it. This isn't so great for subtlety. The scent itself is a heavy artificial fragrance, and I personally am not the biggest fan. I'll be trying something else after I'm done with this bottle.

Garnier Anti-Humidity Hairspray

This line has multiple products with a range of hold capabilities, and this one, which is labeled as a "Volumizing" hairspray is medium-hold (3 out of 5 on their ranking). I wish I'd gone with a stronger hold, because this just doesn't keep my heavy hair up for more than half the day. Additionally, it can make your hair hard and clumpy if you overspray it.

I do like the scent, which is a very subtle candy-sweet smell. It also works better than nothing at adding a bit of volume to the roots, but again it's not that effective overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment